First chickens, then goats. Now being into bees is the latest preoccupation among urban agriculturists in this most ag-obsessed city. In its third year, the Tour de Hives not only celebrates this industrious pollinator, it gives enthusiasts (wannabees?) the opportunity to learn what's going on in the backyards of other apiarists and learn the secrets of their success. Coinciding with National Bee Day on August 18 and organized by the Zenger Farm Bee Group, the tour will feature hives in the North, Northeast, Southeast and Gladstone areas. Best of all, the day is capped by lifting pints and discussing the finer points of beekeeping at the Lucky Lab pub. Now to organize an urban pig tour followed by a smoke-off…
Details: Tour de Hives organized by the Zenger Farm Bee Group. Sun., Aug. 18, 1-4 pm; post-event gathering at Lucky Lab at 915 SE Hawthorne, 4-6 pm. Tickets $5-$15 sliding scale with preregistration.
* * *
Sabin Bee-Friendly Front Garden Tour that shows how easy and beautiful it is to plant a bee-friendly habitat. With 30 neighborhood homes participating, the tour is self-guided and you can peruse the gardens at your leisure all summer long. Even more helpful, there's an audio track available narrated by the homeowners themselves talking about their gardens. It's a great opportunity to learn a lot with little effort other than taking a walk through this lovely area.
Details: Sabin Bee-Friendly Garden Tour. Map available online or at Livingscape, Garden Fever or the Backyard Bird Shop Fremont location. Narrated audio track can be heard at 503-205-0326. For more information e-mail Diane Benson.
* * *
- Zenger Farm Bee Group meets monthly and cares for the farm's hives.
- Naomi's Organic Farm Supply has classes, information and supplies.
- Ruhl Bee Supply, at 114 years the oldest bee supply company in town, has classes, info and supplies.
- Livingscape has supplies and information for home beekeeping.
- Bee Thinking has supplies and information about top bar hives.
- Portland Urban Beekeepers meets monthly.
- Portland Metro Beekeepers Association meets the second Thurs. of the month.
- Tualatin Valley Beekeepers Association meets the last Wed. of the month.
- Clark County (WA) Beekeepers Association meets the second Thurs. of the month.
- Oregon State Beekeepers Association has listings and information.
- Xerces Society is an organization dedicated to promoting and preserving pollinators. Lots of info here.