Ironically, Richard Nixon said it best: "I want to make one thing perfectly clear…" And though he was talking about his belief in the god-like powers of his office, it's the perfect introduction to how much I love living in the Northwest.
So when FoodDay asked me to contribute a few suggestions for their list of 100 (More) Things We Absolutely Love, I gave them a short list of just over 80 things that made my year. (My poor editors…) Out of that list they chose 14 in the following categories:
- Hot Menu Items: Kevin Gibson's meat board at Evoe.
- In Our Cupboards: Harissa in a tube and Tillamook Vintage White Extra Sharp Cheddar.
- Essential Kitchen Tools: Shun knives and new non-stick frying pans.
- What We Read and Watch: Big Table Farm blog and the Gluten Free Portland blog.
- Farmers Market Finds: Locally grown okra (also look for Danielle Centoni's lacinato kale chips…I'm trying them soon!).
- Where We're Going: Cartola and Pop Culture.
- Melange of Faves: DIY Cheesemaker meetings at Foster & Dobbs, Foodshare Fund NE and their farmers market tokens for food stamp recipients (top photo), Friends of Family Farmers and, last but certainly not least, the White House vegetable garden.
Top photo by Sarah Gilbert.