- Nov. 10: Meet the Brewer from Klamath Basin and his Butt Crack Brown, Golden and Red ales. 6-8 pm. Green Dragon Bistro & Brewpub, 928 SE 9th Ave. 503-517-0660.
- Nov. 11: Holiday Ale Brewers Dinner. 6 pm; $55. Ft. George Brewery, 1483 Duane St., Astoria. 503-325-7468 for reservations.
- Nov. 12: Double Mountain Fa La La La La Release Party. 5:30 pm. Victory Bar , 3652 SE Division.
- Nov. 12: Oakshire Beer Belly Dinner with brewer Matt Van Wyk. 6:30; $35. Eastburn, 1800 E Burnside. 503.236.2876 for reservations.
- Nov. 12: Terminal Gravity's Festive Ale and Bucolic Plague BarleyWine. 5 pm. Horse Brass Pub, 4534 SE Belmont. 503-232-2202.
* * *
Now that she doesn't have 10 farmers' markets to cover (she's dropped down to only six or eight), Lisa Jacobs of Jacobs Creamery has decided to take all that time she has on her hands and help manage Willapa Hills Farmstead Cheese and learn to make blue cheese. And start raising her own sheep. And renovate a 1900 farmhouse. And teach cheesemaking classes at Sweetwares, the baking supply company recently launched by the fabulous folks from Baker & Spice. Upcoming classes include:
- Nov. 18: Basic Cheesemaking includes yogurt, créme fraiche and farmer's cheese; light dinner served. 6:30-8:30 pm; $75, reservations only.
- Nov. 29: Basic Cheesemaking includes yogurt, créme fraiche and farmer's cheese; light lunch served. Noon-2 pm; $75, reservations only.
* * *
The revitalization of NE Alberta Street in Portland took a huge leap forward when Random Order Coffeehouse opened several years ago, and since then it has become ground zero for pie lovers of all stripes (and added "& Bakery" to its name). If you're thinking one of their pies might make a tasty addition to your holiday table—and what table wouldn't benefit from a locally-harvested, organic fruit pie—then now's the time to get your order in. The 2009 Thanks to Pie Menu includes "Old World Apple Farm" apple, organic pear and cranberry, blackberry organic apple, brandied pear with dark chocolate and candied ginger streusel, Kentucky pecan and spirited pumpkin.
Details: Holiday Pies from Random Order. $28 for a 9" Pie. Order by Sunday, Nov. 22. Call 971-340-6995 or go to the store, 1800 NE Alberta St.