- Fall Soil Building Workshop. Thurs., Sept 17, 6 pm-8 pm; $29, tickets available online. Luscher Farm, 135 Rosemont Rd., West Linn. 503-675-2549.
- Portland Food Co-Ops Tour of Hood River Farms. Sun., Sept. 20, 9 am-5 pm; $25, lunch included, tickets available at Food Front or People's co-ops. Meet at People's Food Co-op, 3029 SE 21st Ave.
- Applegate Valley Farm and Vineyard Tour. Sat., Sept. 19, 8:30 am-4:30 pm; $55, tickets available online or at the Ashland Food Co-op, 237 N 1st St., Ashland.
- Ingredients: Who's Your Farmer? Documentary Film. Wed., Sept. 16, 7 pm, Club NW, 2160 NW Vine St., Grants Pass or Fri., Sept. 18, 7 pm, Medford Library, 205 S Central Ave., Medford.
* * *
If you love farm-fresh produce and don't have room (or time) to grow your own, a CSA subscription is the perfect solution. Two local farms are starting new CSAs, one for this winter and the other meant for a family of four to be able to can, freeze and preserve their share for whole year.
- 15 Miles Farm and Red Tree Farm Winter CSA. Features a box of fresh seasonal produce, garlic, cheese, goat's milk soap, preserves and berries frozen over from the summer. $440 for eight boxes. Pick-up locations and sign-up on website.
- Greenville Farm CSA. A year's worth of fresh produce that includes a farm kitchen, plus equipment and instruction, available for canning, preserving and freezing. $500 u-pick, slightly more for non-u-pick. Contact Sid or Louann Bone by e-mail or phone at 503-866-6152.
* * *
Join what I've been assured is a group of esteemed Pacific Northwest authors and chefs for the literary symposium and luncheon, "Eat My Words: Literary Food Writing That’s Good Enough to Eat." Sponsored by the Portland Culinary Alliance, it's a day-long word and food-fest to fill your brain and belly with writers the likes of Molly Wizenberg, Matthew Amster-Burton, Diana Abu-Jaber, Shauna James Ahern, Jennie Shortridge and Erica Bauermeister. The chefs preparing your lunch include local hot properties Benjamin Bettinger, Gregory Denton, Jeremy Frice and Lee Posey. Whew! Talk about full!
Details: Eat My Words: Literary Food Writing That’s Good Enough to Eat. Sat., Oct. 3, 8:30-2 pm; $65, tickets available online. More info available via e-mail.