- July 19: Basic Cheesemaking with Mary Rosenblum, $50 person includes extensive cheese tasting plate.
- Aug. 8: Artisan bread baking with Bethany Lee, $50 person. Take home a loaf of bread and an indispensable breadmaking tool.
- Aug. 23: Washed-curd cheesemaking (edam, gouda, Colby, Havarti, among others) with Mary Rosenblum, $50 person includes extensive cheese tasting plate.
- Aug. 30., Aug. 31: Fresh Mozzarella with Will O'Donnell from Mt Townsend Creamery, $50 person.
* * *
It's that time of summer when I'd rather be swinging in the hammock in the back yard with a tall, icy drink than digging around in the garden. But the time is definitely right to do some planning for when cooler temperatures make gardening a joy. Portland Nursery is hosting a couple of classes at their SE Stark store for those of us who'd rather hear about planting than do it right now. Upcoming classes include:
- July 20: Composting Basics with Sean Gillman. 10 am; free with reservation.
- July 27: Growing Bamboo with Ian Connor, director of the Oregon Chapter of the American Bamboo Society. 10 am; free.
* * *
If you miss the Sunday Family Dinners that used to be held at Ken's Place before he left to join business partner Nick Zukin and open the fabulously popular Kenny & Zuke's, then you'll be ecstatic to learn that they've caved to the entreaties of their fans. The upcoming schedule includes:
- July 27: The Road to Morocco including tajines, exotic spices, preserved lemons, olives, couscous, dates, garlic.
- Aug. 31: Summer in the South of France with Provencal Fish Soup, La Grande Aioli, and (they claim) the best Pasta with Pesto you've ever tasted.
- Sept. 28: Flavors of the Yucatan with a sampling of this complex and tantalizing cuisine, accompanied by a Pomegranate Sangria.
Details: All dinners begin at 6 pm with four courses for the price of $30, $40 including wine. Children under 12 are $18.75. Gratuities not included. Reservations required. Kenny & Zuke's, 1038 SW Stark St. Phone 503-222-3354.