And now, heaven help us, our beloved Laurelwood Pub and Brewery in Hollywood is closing after today. But this change has an up side. It's set to reopen in a couple of weeks as Laurelwood Pizza Company and will be featuring antibiotic- and hormone-free meats and organic tomatoes in their pies, as well as their usual fantastic beers.
And this weekend, just up Sandy at 51st, they're opening the latest and greatest in what is becoming a burgeoning brewpub empire. I haven't visited this location yet, but it's apparently going to more than double their seating capacity and feature not just one but two play areas for kids. At times the old location felt like a day care center with so many tykes running around screaming, but owner Mike deKalb says the new place has more separation between the bar and the kid-friendly areas, so we can hope for a bit of peace and quiet while we sip.
For those of us curious what to expect at the new place, they included an FAQ in their latest newsletter:
- Will we still brew at the original location? YES
- Can your new location not have a play area so the adults without kids can be away from the children? NO
- Will your new location be family friendly with a play area like we've come to love? YES
- Will you have outside dining? YES
- Will the beer lineup change? YES
- Can I still buy a keg at the original location? NO
Details: Laurelwood Pizza Co., 1728 NE 40th Ave. Phone 503-282-0622.